Bible survives flames in devastating house fire

David Ball # State

PHILADELPHIA, Tenn. (WVLT) -- The Frankovich family has helped thousands of wildfire survivors, but on Thursday, they were themselves dealt a loss when their home was destroyed by flames.

Jay and Brooke Frankovich have lived in East Tennessee for two years running their catering business 'Smokin F BBQ." The couple lost their home in a fire on Wednesday morning, but they said the outpouring of support has made them feel more at home than ever.

"I think we are learning everyday how to say thank you and just allow people to bless us, it's really humbling,"
Jay said.

Jay said he suspects the fire began at the furnace in the garage and then quickly consumed the house. He said it was only minutes before everything was lost.

"The blower motor kicked on and I'm guessing the return cut off so the house filled with smoke in no less than 15 seconds,"
Jay explained.

All four of their kids made it out safely, but most of their belongings were destroyed. However, there was one item left untouched by the flames: a Bible.

"The fireman came out with this and the hat on top and said, 'Bibles never burn,'"
Brooke said.

The Frankovich family said God took care of them Wednesday morning, but for years they have taken care of others.

The family, through operation BBQ Relief, helped thousands displaced by the Sevier County wildfires in November 2016. Jay also took food down to Houston after devastating hurricane Harvey.

"We've always been on the other side of the coin through Operation BBQ Relief. You never think it can happen to you, but what has happened and the outreach has been like nothing I've ever seen," Jay said.

The family has livestock that survived the fire and need to be taken care of. They are hoping to get a temporary mobile home placed on their land until their house is rebuilt.

Relatives set up a GoFundMe page.

If you would like to help, click here.